AC repair is one of those things that many people don’t really understand, but they might have to go through. It’s always best to try to educate yourself on the type of repairs you might need so that you can know what to expect when it comes time for the repair. AC duct repairs actually aren’t too complicated, so if you’re looking for more information on this then keep on reading. We’re going to go over how AC ducts are repaired as well as some signs that might indicate that you need an AC duct repair.
How Are AC Ducts Repaired?
AC ducts typically can be repaired quite easily as long as the problem is known and seen. Most problems with your AC ducts are due to holes or other open areas in them, which can be easily repaired by an AC repair company.
AC ducts with some sort of hole or opening typically can be repaired by doing a patch. Most AC companies will apply sheet metal or some other type of duct material over the hole in order to close the gap. They then fasten the metal together to ensure that it does not happen again.
In extreme cases where there is extensive damage, the company might instead replace the entire duct. This might be because the damages are irreparable or if there are too many holes or damaged parts that it would be more worth it to replace the whole thing.
So, there are two main things that can happen. If your damages aren’t that bad then some patchwork can work to fix the problem, however, if the damages are deep into the ductwork or if there’s just too much to patch then they might make the decision to replace the entire duct.
This information was put together by our company who completes AC repair in Kingwood. If you’re in our service area, feel free to contact us for services.
How Often Should AC Ducts Be Replaced?
AC ducts can usually last a while in a home and many people might not even consider replacing them until damages occur and they have to. With that being said, AC ducts should be replaced every 10 to 15 years. This is because over time the ducts can get damaged or not work properly and it’s best to replace them before problems arise that will require you to get them replaced. If you found that your AC ducts are more than 15 years old then it’s best to contact an AC repair company to have them replaced or at the very least, inspected.
Signs You Need AC Duct Repair
There are many signs that can point to you needing AC duct repair. Sometimes the issues might be worse than others, but it’s always important to at least get your air ducts checked out and inspected if you notice any of these signs. The sooner you fix things the better because you won’t be dealing with as many problems as if you’d let it sit and get worse. Here are some signs to watch out for that might indicate that you need AC duct repair:
- Air vents are very dirty around all of them
- Weird noises from the ductwork
- Abnormally and inexplicably high energy bills
- Lack of airflow throughout the home
- Temperature is not consistent throughout the home, some rooms are cooler than others
- Mold and mildew odor or visible
- Abnormal amount of dust around your home all the time
- Filters clog up faster than previously
- HVAC areas are filled with dust
- Pest infestations
- Ducts are visibly tangled, broken, dented, or otherwise damaged
Is Replacing Ductwork Worth It?
Replacing ductwork can seem unnecessary if you don’t seem to have extensive damage or if you just feel that you don’t need that at the moment. However, replacing ductwork is mostly always going to be worth it. As we said, if there are problems and they persist, it can cause even worse problems over time, so it’s best just to get your AC ducts replaced once you realize it should be done.
Here are some benefits of replacing ductwork:
- Decreased energy bills: Energy bills tend to rise if there are ductwork issues and so once they are resolved, you can expect your energy bill to begin to drop.
- Improved air quality: The AC ducts aren’t just to provide you with cool air, but they act as an air filtration system. If there is a problem with this system then you’re sure to have air quality issues as well.
- Better temperature regulation: You can expect your home to be more consistently cooled or heated with replaced AC ducts.
- Longer lifetime for your AC system: Getting your AC ducts replaced can mean that they will last you another 15 years
- Less dust and dirt in your home: Better AC ducts mean better filtration and less dust for the inside of your home.
The Bottom Line
Overall, AD duct repair isn’t anything crazy, but it’s one of those things that you must keep up with. Getting your AC ducts repaired means that you’ll have better air quality, and a lower energy bill, among many other things as well. It’s most definitely worth it to get them repaired whenever you’re at that 15-year mark or if you notice any signs of possible damage with the ducts.