At least 20 Yemeni civilians killed in airstrike, UN says

Adjust Comment Print

20 civilians were killed yesterday, Tuesday 18th July, in a village near Taiz in Yemen.

The officials said the toll is expected to rise, with several women and children in critical condition.

Those killed are believed to have been in their homes when the attack took place, with the majority of the victims said to be from the same family. They had reportedly been displaced to Mawza from the nearby Al Mokha district.

"When there is a conflict there will be mistakes, but we account for our mistakes and apologise for them, and try to compensate those who have been hurt", he added, claiming the autocracy was also the "number one donor" for aid and development in Yemen.

In 2015, Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a massive air campaign aimed at reversing Houthi military gains and shoring up Yemen's embattled government.

Unusually in Yemen's fractured political landscape, Islah has supporters in the north and south of the country.Since the Saudi-led coalition intervened in Yemen in 2015, Islah has tried to distance itself from the Brotherhood, in deference to the government-in-exile's Saudi hosts. They aim to restore the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

Ann Coulter bashes Delta Airlines in tweetstorm
Coulter was mocked online for having a meltdown after the airline switched her seat with a family who wanted to sit together. But Delta gate agents and flight attendants are not members of a union, the way they are at American and United.

"We have been advocating incessantly for respect of worldwide humanitarian law and protection of civilians in Yemen".

Since the Saudi-led coalition began its attacks, the conflict has killed more than 10,000 people, forced millions from their homes, damaged infrastructure and pushed the country to the brink of starvation, according to the UN.

Dr Abdullah al-Rabeeah, a former Saudi minister and now head of the country's state aid agency, told The Independent "there is no intention whatsoever to bombard or kill civilians".

The UN refugee agency, UNHCR, said in a statement that it was "deeply shocked and saddened at reports of the deaths and injuries of a number of internally displaced persons in an aerial attack" on the area.

Yemen is also facing the "worst cholera outbreak in the world", the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and the World Health Organization (WHO) warned in a joint statement last month, blaming the outbreak on two years of violence that has engulfed the country.

Comments