Further arrest made by police investigating Manchester atrocity

Adjust Comment Print

Many poignant and heart-warming displays have been orchestrated since Monday evening, when a lone suicide bomber detonated an explosive device in the foyer of Manchester Arena, after an Ariana Grande concert, as a multitude of fans - many of whom were just teenagers - made their way home.

Bomber Salman Abedi, a 22-year-old Briton of Libyan descent, killed 22 people and himself on May 22 at an Ariana Grande concert.

"Until the operation is complete, we can't be entirely sure that it is closed", Rudd said.

Britain's interior minister says the hunt is still on for suspects in the Manchester bombing, and members of attacker Salman Abedi's network may still be at large.

A thousand people are involved in the investigation to Abedi's network.

"I believe we can get them to be more successful in working with us to find a way of getting some of that information", she said.

The huge police operation that followed saw raids in several cities as counter- terror efforts were focused on cornering his suspected criminal ring. Another brother and Abedi's father have been detained in Libya.

Two unarmed police officers remained on guard outside the entrance to Granby House, believed to contain the flat in question, according to an AFP correspondent at the scene. The straps of a backpack are visible on his shoulders.

The attack, which has been claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group, targeted young fans at the end of a concert by U.S. teen pop idol Ariana Grande.

British officials confirmed that Abedi recently returned from Libya on May 18, and that police were seeking more information about his movements upon his return.

ICJ stays Kulbhushan Jadhav's execution till final order
It also hit out at India, saying the country has been "trying to hide its real face" by taking the case of Jadhav to the ICJ. Analysts and observers blamed Pakistan's legal team for the setback caused by the ICJ's order.

Angie Best, (64) former wife of Northern Ireland soccer legend George Best and mum of celebrity bad boy Calum Best, has been slammed for rubbishing a schoolgirl's tribute to victims of the Manchester suicide bombing.

Still, security remains high at large-scale public events, including the Great Manchester Run.

Peter Hook, a member of seminal Manchester band New Order, was among the runners and said the tragedy had brought people together.

Three people were arrested - and quickly de-arrested - during the afternoon's operation at Quantock Street, Moss Side, leading them to post an outraged sign on their front door.

Abdedi was known to British security services before the bombing, the government said, but Ms Rudd declined to comment on exactly what had been known about him.

Rudd said Sunday that intelligence agencies were monitoring 3,000 suspected extremists and had a wider pool of 20,000 people of interest.

"But I would not rush to conclusions, as you seem to be, that they have somehow missed something".

The family of one victim, 18-year-old Georgina Callander, said her life had been cut short by "evil, evil men prepared to ruin lives and destroy families".

"We know one of the last places Abedi went was the city centre flat and from there he left to make his way to the Manchester Arena", Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins and Neil Basu, Senior National Coordinator UK Counter Terrorism Policing said in a joint statement.

Comments