Chicago police seek 2nd teen in Facebook sexual assault case

Adjust Comment Print

Police in Chicago are now searching and expecting for more arrests for what the police chief says is an "absolutely horrific" sexual assault incident of a minor that was streamed over Facebook Live last month.

He is just the first of multiple juvenile offenders from the March 19th assault to be charged with more arrests to follow.

"She's having a very, very hard time even talking about it".

Investigators were alerted the following day when the girl's mother approached Chicago police Superintendent Eddie Johnson at a local precinct and showed him screenshot images from the video.

Police had said that dozens of people watched the assault take place on Facebook Live without reporting it to authorities.

Police announced the arrest of the 14-year-old boy late on Saturday.

The announcement came just hours after police charged a 14-year-old boy with aggravated criminal assault, manufacturing child pornography and dissemination of child pornography.

Police said Sunday that they have worked with Facebook and obtained social media search warrants, which they have used to identify two suspects. According to Deenihan, one of the attackers coaxed the girl to a residence.

Oversight chair: 'Ridiculous' to call for investigation into Nunes
Democrats appeared unanimous in urging Nunes to recuse himself, a step he said repeatedly Tuesday he was not considering. Committee chairman Devin Nunes responded "Why would I?" when asked Tuesday if he should recuse himself.

"Due to the graphic content that I observed, I don't want to go into the details of what was on the video but I want to tell you the young [men] responsible, they should be ashamed of themselves", Johnson said.

The girl went missing on March 19 in the crime-plagued midwestern USA city.

Following the assault, the victim received harassing messages on social media, causing the victim more distress.

After one of the previous attacks, in which a mentally disabled man was tormented and tortured by a group of people, the company said it does not allow people "to celebrate or glorify crimes" on its network.

Since the attack the young victim has been harassed through online taunts and police are now working to ensure she is safe.

The teenage girl was allegedly assaulted by five or six males last month in the attack that was streamed live online. She was taken to Comer Children's Hospital and reunited with her family. "Where are we going in society?"

Police say more arrests are expected.

Comments