Surtees passes away at 83

Adjust Comment Print

Surtees famously won the 1964 Formula One world championship behind the wheel of a Ferrari, later taking second place two years after. The news comes after it was announced that he'd been struggling with and treated for respiratory problems.

He remains the only man to become world champion on both two and four wheels.

He had a long and illustrious career in motorsport, winning the 500cc world championship four times as well as the 350cc championship an additional three times.

Surtees started as a motorcycle racer riding sidecar with his father Vincent, who was a London motorcycle dealer. "He was also one of the true greats of motorsport".

"We deeply mourn the loss of such an incredible, kind and loving man as well as celebrate his unbelievable life".

The racing legend won seven world motorcycling championships between 1956 and 1960, before trying his luck in vehicle racing, initially for the Lotus team.

Allrounder Marsh to return to Australia with shoulder injury
Beakley further informed that Marsh would now head home to consult with specialists to advise the best course of action. For us the challenge is making sure he's fresh to go and he just does what he does.

He was runner-up in the 1966 season behind Jack Brabham and then, exhausted of political infighting, walked away from the Italian team.

He then raced Formula One Grand Prix, winning the world title in 1964, just a year before a serious accident almost killed him while he practiced in Canada.

The years that followed garnered little success - 2nd place in 1966 was the high point - before a move to Honda in 1967.

Surtees went on to form his own Surtees Racing Organisation which competed in Formula One, and retired from racing competitively in 1972. It saw him bow out of the sport on a relative low. With a lengthy list of championship wins over the course of a lifetime, we take a moment to reflect back on Surtees life and racing career.

One of motorsports' most iconic figures, John Surtees, died Friday, March 10, at St Georges Hospital in London.