A US commando died in a dawn raid in southern Yemen on Sunday that killed around 30 people including al Qaeda suspects and civilians, the USA military and local Yemeni officials said.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of one of our elite servicemembers", said Commander of U.S. Central Command Gen. Joseph Votel.
A USA service member died of injuries suffered during a weekend raid against al-Qaeda militants in Yemen, the military said on Sunday.
The fourth injury happened when a military aircraft that was assisting with the mission crash landed.
Al-Qaeda mourned al-Dhahab as a "holy warrior" and other militants who were killed in its official Telegram account.
Residents, officials and al-Qaeda said the attack was carried out by the US.
US drone strikes targeted and killed three other Al Qaeda members in Yemen a week ago, according to USA officials.
Al-Qaeda officials told AP that 30 men, women and children were also killed in the raid.
Trump Urges Stronger Push Against ISIS That Could Include Big U.S
The US now has 5,000 troops in Iraq and 500 in Syria as "advisers" - but also artillery and aircraft to help in the fight. The US must take decisive action to defeat ISIS", Trump said . "This is evil.
The names of the deceased and wounded service members are being withheld pending notification of next-of-kin, the release said.
The name of the killed USA serviceman has yet to be released.
In what appears to be the first American military action in the country under President Donald Trump, Yemeni security officials said three al Qaeda leaders and dozens of militants were killed in the assault.
A USA defense official said the raid was approved by Trump.
Three of the deaths included top leaders of Al-Qaeda's Yemen branch. The official requested anonymity for fear of reprisals.
The American death in the January 28 raid is the first known US combat death since President Donald Trump took office last week.
The US conducted dozens of drone strikes throughout Barack Obama's presidency to combat al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, regarded as one of the global militant group's most risky branches.
Yemeni forces including southern resistance fighters and army troops backed by the Saudi-led coalition earlier this month launched an operation to take strategic areas along the Red Sea coast near the Bab Al Mandeb strait from Houthi rebels.